“Strung Out” Performed by William Bell & Mavis Staples (1968)

August 19, 2010

William Bell, like Motown’s Marvin Gaye, had more than one duet partner while at Stax: Judy Clay was his first. But after she went back to Atlantic Records there were other partners.

The LP pictured above, “William Bell Duets,”  was released in 1968 and included “Strung Out” along with all of the duet projects Bell had recorded in the Sixties with female artists at Stax.

The Staple Singers family group had been with five labels before signing with Stax Records in 1968. The group was made of three sisters (Mavis, Cleotha and Yvonne), their brother Pervis, and the father of them all — Roebuck “Pops” Staples. The group had great success with Stax on hits led by sister Mavis with her powerful, soulful voice.

Two Mavis and William duets from the LP were released as a single in 1969.  “Love’s Sweet Sensation”  was backed with “Strung Out.”  Neither were hits, but I wanted to share with you this sweet soul ballad.

Filed under:Dynamic Duos (Duets),Pop/Soul,R&B/Duets,R&B/Soul,Sixties,Stax of Soul,Stax/Volt,Strung Out,William Bell & Mavis Staples

1 SupaStarry August 24, 2010 at 11:16 am

i know you said you dont listen to much Hip-hop but that is exactly how i found out about this song (by a song produced by Kanye West) and of course i loved it. and Mavis…i just love her voice!

2 SonDan August 24, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Mavis is one of a kind. I love to watch her face when she sings and would love to see her live in convert. I remember seeing Aretha doing an impression of Mavis in concert on YouTube. Now if impression is really the sincerest form of flattery and respect we now know that ReRe loves Miss Mavis as much as we do. Leaving to look for clip to attach.
——
Back. Found the clips with ReRe doing her singing impressions of Miss Mavis, Miss Gladys and Miss Ross!

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2IxoEE5ySY

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZjAuSlFmB8

Hmm… If Kanye West is familiar with soul classics like this then perhaps I should raise my opinion of him. (LOL)

3 SupaStarry August 25, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Omg, thanks for posting that SonDan! i loved it! especially Mavis and Diana lol.

and yeah, alot of people have alot to say about Kanye but they cant say anything about his talent. At his best, he doesnt rap about BS…he usually has something to say. and for the soul music…he samples some of the best! Otis Redding,Marvin Gaye, Chaka Khan, Harold Melvin and The Bluenotes, Nina Simone, MJ, Luther, Aretha and way more.

4 SonDan August 26, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Anything for You lady ;-).
Looks like your latest job, should you choose to accept it, is to school me on the good parts of Kanye West’s musical catalog since I would have no idea where to begin. I know you will handle it like a champ Supa.

5 SupaStarry September 2, 2010 at 5:56 am

i love your openmindedness(made that up lol) SonDan :). i’ll just post a couple since you dont really listen to Hip hop.

from the College Dropout Album:

Through The Wire (his first single)
Spaceship
Never Let Me Down (a personal fave!)

from the Graduation Album:

The Glory
Homecoming

With your music knowledge, all the sample should be easy to catch lol (esp anything from the College Dropout album)

hope you enjoy (and even if you dont lol, please dont write off Hip hop because of Kanye…theres a bunch of greats out there)

6 SonDan September 2, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Thanks for the list SupaS. That should get me off to a good start. I remember that the first CD was a big hit, but I only heard the first hit single from it as it was played everywhere. And of course the only other ‘Ye song I know is “Golddigger” that sampled Ray Charles via Jamie Foxx. I could have been living on another planet and still have heard that one. I must admit I loved it!
Rest assured I will give the list a listen. I will always give music a chance… always and forever. And I will mos def let you know the outcome.

Have a Supa weekend.

7 SupaStarry September 10, 2010 at 4:34 am

Yes! Gold digger was everywhere…i had the ringtone lol. i guess i need to be more open then. some people…i just cant. i’ll take ANY suggestion from you though! your taste in music is great and wide!