“Fading Away” Performed by The Temptations (1966) & Bobby Taylor and The Vancouvers (1968)

May 13, 2010

I remember playing this Gordy 45 rpm over and over and over again on my grey and white record player. In fact I still have the record!

The day I first heard it was the day that I purchased the “Get Ready”  Single, the last song Smokey Robinson wrote and produced for The Temptations. Of course before I played it I flipped it over to hear the B-Side: this was my habit because  some of my most favorite songs were to be found on B-sides that often NEVER made it to LPs.  Beside as a tween I didn’t always have LP money, but I always could scrounge up change to purchase a 45. ;-)

Anyway, I played “Fading Away,” the B-Side to  “Getting Ready,” over  and over  and over again and just sat their swooning at Eddie’s voice imagining how it would be when I grew up and met and finally married him (ROTFLOL).

This sweet,  sweet  ballad was composed by three of Motown’ s own  “Miracles”  — Warren “Pete” Moore, Smokey Robinson and Robert “Bobby” Rogers.

Oh well it kept me off of the streets!

This Motown cover is another of those on the one and only Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers Motown Album.  I do enjoy the harmonizing at the hook that is different from the Temptations original,  but all in all no one can do it like those Tempting Temptations.

So which version is your favorite?

Filed under:Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers,Fading Away,Guy Groups,Motown,Motown Covers Motown,Motown/Gordy,Pop/R&B,R&B/Motown,Sixties,The Temptations,Warren "Pete" Moore/Smokey Robinson/Robert Rogers

1 SupaStarry June 4, 2010 at 11:05 am

honestly, its hard to choose anybody over Eddie with a voice like that lol. he could singthe dictionary nd i’d listen :)

off topic: have you ever heard Nobody But You with Eddie on lead? its from the early days and i just love it!! if you havent, you should check it out on YT SonDan.

2 SonDan June 4, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Yes I absolutely love that song! I have only heard one song with Eddie on lead that wasn’t perfection and it was on their very first LP before he found his true voice! The man was all that .. wasn’t he?

3 SupaStarry June 5, 2010 at 1:16 pm

yes he was!

P.S. i HAVE to kno wat song your talkin about SonDan lol

4 SonDan June 6, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Well just between you and me (LOL) the CD release of the Temptations first LP, “Meet The Temptations,” added two Bonus tracks to the original LP — both of which your man Paul sang lead on. I had never heard either when I was growing up since I suspect they were local hits only that never made it from Detroit to my neck of the woods.

Anyway, the first song was “Oh, Mother of Mine” which they wore out in The Temptations TV movie (GRIN) and the second was called “Romance Without Finance.” Paul’s lead is awesome on both cuts, but Eddie’s crying/singing/wailing in the background is pretty rough. I’m sorry Sweet Cornbread, but you know it is true and probably why the song wasn’t a hit. But I still love Eddie with all my heart, mind and soul. ;-)

Hopefully this link will work for you and you can be the judge SupaS.

[audio:The Temptations - 14 - (Bonus Track) Romance Without Finance.mp3]

5 SupaStarry June 7, 2010 at 2:32 am

*GASP* SonDan! i love Romance Without Finance LOL (one of my fave Paul leads!). i discovered it sometime last year on YT. i jus thought Eddie sounded like that because he was younger and his voice was ya kno…developing i guess, i didnt think it was that bad tho lol.

6 SonDan June 7, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Yes, “RWF” is a great song. (That hook was stolen years later- remember). Basically I have never ever heard an Original or Classic Tempts or Dennis Tempts sonf that I did not like. Just this one with Eddie being a bit unseasoned and then there is Paul’s pronunciation on “Teared Stained” letter drioves me nuts when he says “Tear Staind – ded.” Other than thay those men did no wrong vocally in my book! I know you feel the same.

7 John Kohl January 10, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I’m sure this brings back great memories to everyone when listening to this song. I know I do!

8 SonDan January 12, 2011 at 10:45 pm

You are spot on John. Every Classic Temptation song holds a special place in my heart John, because of the great memories stirred in me of my pre-teen and teenage days!

Thank you for participating here at OSML: hope to see more of you in the near future.