“In The Still Of The Night” Performed by The Five Satins (1956) & Boyz To Men (1992)

April 1, 2010

#3 R&B, #24 Billboard Hot 100 in 1956

The original Five Satins; Fred Parris, Al Denby, Ed Martin, and Jim Freeman, were  put together as a vocal group in 1954 New Haven Connecticut by Fred Parris.  His composition “In The Still Of The Night” was the first single they released on Standard Records in 1956.  By the time the song had been leased to Ember Records and became  a hit on the charts, Parris (now out of high school)  had been drafted and was serving in the Army in Japan!!

This classic is the song the group is most remembered for and is thought of immediately when the word “Doo-wop” is mentioned.

#3 Rhythmic Top 110, #4 Hot R&B/Hip Hop Singles, #3 Billboard Hot 100 & #2 Top 40 Mainstream in 1992

Timeless is another way to describe this song. Listen to Boyz to Men cover it four decades later! Plus it charted again!

Great tune, great singing — what more could you ask for!

Enjoy this vintage live performance while it lasts on YouTube!

Enhanced by Zemanta

Filed under:Boyz 2 Men,Covers That Hit!,Doo-Wop Dynamite,Ember Records,Fifties,Fred Parris,Guy Groups,In The Still Of The Night,Magnificent Male Vocalists,Motown,Nineties,Pop/Doo-Wop,R&B/Doo-Wop,R&B/Motown,Standard Records,The Five Satins

1 SupaStarry April 1, 2010 at 5:35 pm

i love Doo Wop too! and i love this song. me and my sisters used to sing this (Boyz 2 men acapella style from The Jacksons: An American Dream!) and although i sound horrible alone…together we sounded good LOL.

2 SonDan April 3, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Supa The Singer ;-) The lady of many talents I see (l0l) I love it when voices blend together in perfect harmony. I wish there were more groups today that really SANG in harmonoy instead of non-singers using technology to make them sound passable for the almighty $. Well just my opinion.
BTW I missed the Isleys on Soul Train. Was working late and by the time I got home it was too late. Dang it – shame on me. I guess eventually I am going to have to get with the program and get one of the DVD recorders. BUt please keep me abreast of stuff like this coming on TV. I will do better next time (GRIN)

3 Elaine Davenport April 7, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Hi Sondan! I just stopped by for a quick visit. Everything looks really great. How are you doing? I hope this message finds you well. Love E

4 SonDan April 11, 2010 at 12:14 am

Hi E,

I am moving along. I know you are doing just swell because your kind spirit won’t allow otherwise.
After tax day things will be a bit lighter and brighter for me and I will start to work on my “How I Became A Dot Com” — with you in mind (LOL).

Here’s a hug and have a great weekend. Chat back atcha very soon.

S

5 SupaStarry April 8, 2010 at 11:52 pm

LOL! i wish i could sing but thats funny. i kno wat you mean about the harmonies. i went to an Alicia Keys concert last month and her back up singer who is tryin to go solo started the show…his back up singers were off the hook! he was great too but this one song stayed in my head because his back up singers killed it!

that episode will come back on so you’ll probably catch it next time but i will keep you updated on stuff when i see it. btw, tommorow (4/9/10- at 2:30pm and 2am on Centric) theres a documentary called Wattstax comin on. ive neva seen it before but its a concert (’72) with Rufus and Carla Thomas, Issac Hayes, The Dramatics, Mel and Tim, The Staple Singers and more. Also a new episode of Soul Train with A Taste Of Honey and Al Green (cant wait cuz i love some Al Green!) hope you read this in time :)

6 SonDan April 11, 2010 at 12:24 am

Aw sugar pops SupaS! — I didn’t get to see this post in time, but I am hoping that Wattstaxx will be repeated on Centric this month: t is a fantastic show that I have yet to see in its entirety – just select performances.

They keep changing the TV schedule around to confuse me (LOL). I finally found the “Unsung” episode on Sylvester by accident: the show used to be on Sundays now it is on Mondays so I was looking for it on the wrong day.

You got to see a nice show SupaS. Good for you. Glad you got you money’s worth. I haven’t been to a concert in a while, but I did just purchase a ticket to go see Nancy Wilson next month as a birthday gift to myself. I wanted to be able to see this diva live and in person before she retires completely from touring. I am looking forward to the show.

I am so glad you are back online to keep my in line SupaS. Have a beautiful week!

Hugs,

S

7 SupaStarry April 30, 2010 at 4:47 pm

i was hopin you’d see it in time! sry, i did kinda tell you too late though. i caught it and loved it! my fave performances was Rufus and Carla Thomas and The Staple singers.

and i love Unsung too. tell me why i remember the song Mighty Real but neva knew it was sung by a guy! thats why i love Unsung lol. next season is gonna be great. theyre featuring Tammi Terrell, Teddy P, Heatwave, and George Clinton and more (though i dont really think George is Unsung).

Thanks! idk Nancy wilson but i hope you have a great time too! :)

8 SonDan April 30, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Lady S you are a hoot. Thinking back now I believe I thought a woman was singing “Mighty Real” when I first heard it too! ROTFLOL

9 Tony aka Pismotality May 30, 2010 at 6:55 am

Hi,
I love In the Still of the Night (original version) and have archived a discussion about it from a deleted doo wop messageboard here:
Tony aka Pismotality

10 SonDan May 30, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Hey thanks for sharing the link Tony. Will check it out this afternoon.
Your visit and participation is greatly appreciated.