"Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye" Performed By The Casinos (1967)

March 30, 2009

the-casinos-promotional-pic-1967

The Casinos – Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye (1967) #6 Pop Singles

The Casinos lead singer Gene Hughes, IMHO, has a beautiful, beautiful singing voice. And “TYCTMG” , written by the talented singer/songwriter John Loudermilk, just couldn’t help but move up the Billboard charts to #6 in 1957 as performed by the nine piece ensemble “The Casinos” that were formed from the group “The Legends.”

Read all about the detailed formation of the group here at Cincinnati’s Own  The Original Casinos Website. This is where I found the great Fraternity Records promotional photo of the group that I have posted above.

It is unfortunate that this song was their first and last hit.

Now let’s fast forward more than 35 years later.

I truly love this video from one of those Fabulous PBS Doo-Wop Specials.  I hope it stays around awhile and doesn’t vanish as so many do.

Mr. Gene Hughes sounds great singing lead on his classic. I recall watching this when it originally aired and I have watched it many, many times since (I need to save up for the video — don’t I?)

It is wonderful that he got to perform again to a group of adoring fans before his untimely death following complications from a car crash in 2004.

Filed under:Doo-Wop Dynamite,Fraternity Records,Guy Groups,John D. Loudermilk,One Hit Wonders,Pop/Doo-Wop,Sixties,The Casinos,Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye

1 Ken June 26, 2009 at 7:39 am

I would like to thank you for the great tribute you have paid to Gene and the guys. The Casinos have enjoyed working together now for over 50 years and I am honored to be with them again. Your tribute to my great friend, Gene is very much appreciated. Please feel free to call anytime if there is anything we can offer you.

Ken Brady 727-612-8912

2 Sandy Pitts December 15, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Whatever happened to the drummer Named Doug that was in the band in 1973. He played in Mobile, Al in the summer of 1973, then traveled to Ft. Walton Beach, Fl.
My friend Teresa had a crush on him….And still thinks kindly of him still to this day…..

3 SonDan December 19, 2009 at 8:28 pm

Seasons Greetings Sandy. Hopefully someone will see and respond to your query here at OSML. Thank you so very much for checking in and I hope to see more of you in the coming New Year.

4 Andrew D. Appleyard April 1, 2010 at 9:49 pm

“Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye”
is my favorite song.
They use to play it a lot at the nightclub 1 block east of campus at the University of Cincinnati.

The joke by the head of the BusAd was they had a graduate that was making over $100,000.00 a year. Guess who?

5 Andrew D. Appleyard April 2, 2010 at 2:08 pm

OSCAR

6 Garry Kanz November 29, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Great song and styling- Gene Hughes will be missed — I play it and request it all the time too– since I first heard it when it came out-,,,, All of the Casinos singers do a neat job on this song!!!,, thanks

7 SonDan November 30, 2010 at 12:24 am

You are so right Garry. This will be a requested classic for all of eternity. I hope that Mr. Hughes knew how much his performance of this song meant to his fans.

Thanks for checking in. Hope to see you again here at OSML very soon.

8 charlie May 16, 2014 at 11:33 am

i was able to catch the casinos at the library lounge in norwood many years ago. being a friend of pete bolton it was really a joy. I know pete wasnt with them at the time. i had a great night;

9 SonDan May 16, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Just color me jealous. Thanks for checking out OSML Charlie. Have a great weekend and keep on checking in.