“Together” Performed By The Intruders (1967)

June 18, 2008

The Intruders’ second single and first hit, (We’ll Be) United”, only reached #78 on the Hot 100 — but #14 on the R&B Charts. Thank goodness that this fantastic third single and second hit, “Together,” fared a bit better at #48 on the Hot 100 and #9 on the R&B Charts. In addition the song appeared on the group’s first LP, “The Intruders Are Together” (OOP), produced by Kenny Gamble. The LP zoomed up the charts to peak at #23 on the R&B LP Charts in 1968.

I think that the single “Together” should have charted even higher than #9. I think it is the group’s best song out of many excellent cuts. But their biggest hit is yet to come so stay tuned.

I generally listen to the song I am blogging about as I write the post. When I played “Together” I realized I had not listened to it in years and yet I could sing every single lyric without a second thought. It also brought back the time, that even though I knew nothing of love, I would sing this song as if my Prince Charming were really singing it to me. :-) Those innocent times were the best! I wonder if children today are fortunate enough to have those fantasy times with everything now being just “out there” for them to see in the media and on Internet?

Oh well, here are those lyrics so that you can sing along. I don’t need them. (LOL) After listening to this I will be singing this song for the rest of the week.

Together – Composed by Kenny Gamble & Leon Huff

(Together, together)
Oh, oh we could be on a desert
Lost without a place (place) to (to) go (go)
And we`re so in love, in love with each other
That we wouldn`t even (even) know (know)

(Oh, I) don`t care (I don`t care)
Anyplace, anywhere (anywhere)
(Just as long as) just as long
(We are there) as we are there, baby, baby
(Together) together, baby
(Together) together, baby
(Baby,just you and me) just you and me
(Woah) oh, how (happy) happy (we`ll) we`ll be (be)

And, oh, oh, oh, we could be in poverty
No one to lend a helping (helping) hand (hand)
But it`s alright (alright), alright I know
Because you always under(under)stand(stand)

(Oh, I) and I don`t care (I don`t care)
Anyplace, anywhere (anywhere)
(Just as long as) just as long
(We can share) as we share them, baby, baby
(Together) together, baby
(Together) together, baby
(Baby,just you and me) just you and me
(Woah) oh, how (happy) happy (we`ll) we`ll (be) be

(Oh, I) and I don`t care (I don`t care)
Anyplace, anywhere (anywhere)
(Just as long as) just as long
(We can share) as we share them, baby, baby
(Together) together, baby
(Together) together, baby
(Baby,just you and) just (me) you and me
(Woah) oh, how happy (happy) we`ll (we`ll) be (be)

(Together) oh, we`re together
(Together) we`re gonna stay together
(Together) do it all together
(Together) gonna work together
(Together) girl, every day, ever now

(Together) gonna stay together
(Together) oh, we`re together

Hope you enjoyed singing along. Such an awesome love song that only Little Sonny could sing that way. Whenever you hear someone say “they don’t make them like that anymore” please think of this classic.

Filed under:Gamble,Guy Groups,Kenny Gamble & Leon Huff,Pop/Soul,Sixties,The Intruders,Together

1 Roger Fisher June 26, 2008 at 8:53 am

Thank you for your great website! I was going nuts trying to find “Together”…I remembered all the lyrics (just like you said), but the oldies stations do not play it enough to find out the artist…it took me two or three weeks to finally hit…your review is soooo right-on…one of the most underrated love songs of “our era.” Thanks again…roger

2 sondan June 26, 2008 at 3:14 pm

Hi Roger,

I am so glad you found me and “Together.” I never thought about it but you are so right – the oldies stations don’t seem to ever play any of The Intruders songs. Wonder why they are so under-rated? Their harmonies and Little Sonny’s lead vocals deserved to be heard over and over again by one and all.

Thanks for the kind words and please keep me in mind as you travel throughout the blogosphere because I so love having visitors to share these great oldies with.

Take care,

3 anthony purnell March 27, 2009 at 6:16 am

you check out the intruders version of “sad girl” and the song called “slow drag”

4 Angel October 4, 2009 at 7:01 pm

I love all the Intruders that I have heard from the best cds out there. How do I find their first three albums and single both a & b sides ?

5 SonDan October 4, 2009 at 9:04 pm

Hi Angel,

Welcome to the OSML Site. I love the Intruders too – especially Little Sonny’s voice. I can help you out with the first three LPs by the group — 1967′s “Together,” 1968′s “Cowboys to Girls and finally 1970′s “When We Get Married.” I am sending you an email for the sources. As for the singles, I would encourage you to keep an eye out at GEMM.com. Best of luck in your search.

Thanks for your participation.

6 Sherrie Winchenbach October 29, 2010 at 8:25 am

I’ve recently been an enthusiastic supporter of this website for a while and never actually offered something back, I am hoping to alter that in the future with more debate.Thanks for another great inclusion to your site.

7 SonDan October 29, 2010 at 8:10 pm

I can’t express how great if feels to know that someone out there is reading and getting something out of their visits. Please let me know your thoughts on any post, any time, any day Sherrie (even if you disagree with me) ;-)

Thank you so much for your visits.

8 Julio-Debate popular May 11, 2011 at 1:04 am

I love this song, music has a really cute, romantic and lyrics are beautiful.

9 SonDan May 11, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Welcome Julio-Debate.

“Together” *is* truly a beautiful love song and The Intruders really do it justice IMHO.

Thanks for checking in. I am sure you will find much more to your liking.

I appreciate your input.

10 Cipriano June 18, 2011 at 2:41 am

My all time favorite old school group, have them as one of my Pandora stations. In fact “United” was almost my wedding song barely lost out to to “Ribbon in the Sky” and just because I got married in August, (man I wanted a June wedding)!

11 SonDan June 18, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Welcome to OSML Cipriano. You obviously have GREAT taste in music ;-)
Singing along to my Intruder’s 45′s was my favorite weekend pastime once upon a time.
I appreciate your visit and participation and hope to see you again real soon.

12 sondan March 27, 2009 at 11:17 am

Hi Anthony,

I know them both. I probably know The Inturders entire catalog since I loved Little Sonny’s voice so much.
“Sad Girl” has always been one of my top 5 Intruder hits! I like you taste in music (LOL)

Thanks for stopping in. I really appreciate your visit.