“Wedding Bell Blues” Performed by The 5th Dimension (1969)

March 7, 2008

age-of-aquarius.jpg

This is the third and final great Laura Nyro song in my 5th Dimension presentation for now. This song is so catchy, that once you get it stuck in your craw you can’t get rid of it. I have been singing it, unconsciously, ever since I decided to blog it. This song was an inside joke for the group since Marilyn and Billy Davis Jr. were a romantic couple at the time of it’s release – so Marilyn made the opening lyric “Bill, I love you so I always will!” About a year later they actually were married and have remained so ever since.

This song charted #1 Pop and #23 R&B (again, why so low? hmm). It originally appeared on The5thD fourth LP entitled “Age of Aquarius” pictured above.

For additional reading do check out:

the5thdimension_.jpgIn closing check out two live performances of this great song. The second video/audio is far from pristine, but it is great to see these performances (and costumes!) of the era. If you want to just enjoy the song in pristine condition please play the music link provided at the top of the post.

Glad you came by. Hope to see you again very soon.

black-signature.png

Filed under:Buddah,Co-ed Vocal Groups,Laura Nyro,Pop/R&B,Sixties,The 5th Dimension,Wedding Bell Blues

1 RW Donn September 2, 2008 at 7:00 pm

I have had Wedding Bell Blues stuck in my head since a friend of mine brought over the Laura Nyro album with HER version of it (I like it over the 5th Dimension’s interp) in 1968! There haven’t been many songs that do that! In addition, it was a motivating song for a couple I know to get married in 1969. His name? Bill, of course!

2 sondan September 2, 2008 at 7:47 pm

Great anecdote RW Donn. Thanks for sharing it.

Marilyn McCoo is a good song stylist but there is something in what you say about Laura Nyro. As the composer I find that her renditions of her songs are generally more “sincere” than any of the performaces by other artists.

I do like her artistry as a singer and wonder why she wasn’t more of a chart topper than she was!?

I appreciate your commenting. You gave me the idea to add Miss Nyro to my list of future postings.

Thanks so much and hope to see you soon RW.

3 KnightMoves808 February 1, 2009 at 3:20 am

here in the 808 State, its my mission to keep dat ol’skool flavah flow’n…props to you too for keepi’n it real & alive!

4 Claude Chaney February 3, 2009 at 11:39 pm

They were (and still are) a fabulous group. They had fabulous writers like Laura Nyro, Jimmy Webb and Tony MacCauley. Florence LaRue (the only original member) still keeps them alive, just like Lonnie Jordan (War) and Charlie Thomas (Drifters). My favorite 5th Dimension songs are “Up, Up & Away” “(Last Night) I Couldn’t Get To Sleep At All” and of course “Wedding Bell Blues”.

5 Claude Chaney February 23, 2011 at 1:18 am

Hi Sondan,
I am seriously thinking about doing a 5th Dimension song on my next CD. I am leaning towards “Last Night (I Couldn’t Get To Sleep At All” Have you ever seen a video of that song with the 5th Dimension singing it? YouTube, among others has several versions by other artists or Marilyn singing it as part of a medley. I would like to see all five members singing the whole song. Let me know if you run across such a video. Peace, Claude

6 SonDan February 23, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Hi Claude,
Just read you email and I am putting a note on my monitor to be on the lookout for you.
Perhaps an OSML might be able to assist as well. Great song choice BTW :-)
Regards,

7 sondan February 2, 2009 at 5:33 pm

Thank you for the support KnightMoves and thank you for checking in with me.
I love this music something fierce and my mission is to keep it alive. Pass the word for me please!

8 sondan February 4, 2009 at 5:26 pm

Claude,

One of my favorite 5th Dimension tune “Sweet Blindness” written by Ms. Nyro.

Speaking of the 5th — today (Feb4th) is Florence LaRue’s Birthday!. Happy Birthday Mrs. Gordon and th ank you for the wonderful musical memories!

BTW, I saw Lonnie Jordan’s War in concert this past summer 2008 and he was awesome. I really enjoyed the show and would love to catch it again.

Thanks for checking in Claude. I really appreciate your visit and input.