“Also Sprach Zarathustra” Performed by Deodato (1972)

February 27, 2008

deodato-prelude.jpg

Also Sprach Zarathustra, op. 30 is a tone poem by Richard Strauss, composed in 1896 and inspired by Friedrich Nietzsche’s book Also sprach Zarathustra. The composer conducted its first performance in Frankfurt.

The introduction is one of the most recognizable pieces of music ever written, mainly because Stanley Kubrick used it as the key musical motif repeated three times during his 1968 film 2001: A Space Odyssey.

A funk arrangement by Eumir Deodato won the Grammy Award for Best Pop Instrumental Performance in 1974. It charted in the top ten in both the US and UK, and was also used in the film Being There. (Source)

deodato-2.jpg

Now on a more personal note, ASZ (fondly know as the disco version of “The Theme From 2001 A Space Odyssey”) from Deodato’s first lp is what whet my appetite for classical music. Of course I had to play the “Three Bs” in my piano lessons as a youngster, but I only listened to Popular music on my record player. But after hearing Deodato’s jazzy takes on the classics I became interested in both classical music and jazz. After purchasing Deodato 2 (pictured left) I became even more interested in Jazz of all typed and have loved the genre ever since. Thank you for broadening a young girl’s musical horizons Mr. Deodato.

Before signing off I wanted to share this brief clip of the original version intro to ASZ as written and as found in this YouTube video clip. Enjoy.

Thanks for stopping by.

black-signature.png

Filed under:Also Sprach Zarathustra,Deodato,Epic,Grammy Gold,Instrumental Grooves,Jazz/Instrumental,Richard Strauss,Seventies

1 AdR July 16, 2008 at 8:22 am

Thanks for including the wonderful Deodato original track.
The family of the late Richard Strauss certanly did not like this “black” version of ASZ and did everything they could to have it banned – in the end, in vain, fortunately. They were still old school nazis around 1973!

2 sondan July 20, 2008 at 12:43 am

Thank YOU AdR for stopping by and leaving this wonderful and informative comment! I had never head about the Strauss family’s nonsense regarding this track. How very very sad that people like that continue to try and flex their muscle.

I am so glad you checked in. Hope to see you again soon.

3 Yvonne October 30, 2008 at 11:34 am

Heard Deodato for the very first time in his very original version of Also Sprach Zarathustra and absolutely loved it. Is there anything similar I can find that was so successful.

sincerely

Y Perez
————–
Hi Yvonne,
You know that is a good question. Deodato is so unique in his approach. that I can’t think of anyone that sounds like him off the top of my head.

I think I will enter his name into Pandora (the music service I listen too) and see what type of music the computer picks as being similar.

Promise to post back here to let you know so keep checking the site.

4 Sprachschule Frankfurt March 18, 2011 at 2:35 am

well i thing its great school for the people who are intrested in music and there lover . i like it..

5 Sprachschule Frankfurt March 20, 2011 at 10:19 am

It is very nice and i have watch all the videos it great and i love to watch it…

6 SonDan March 20, 2011 at 11:26 am

Thanks for the kind words Sprachschule! Hope that you continue to enjoy the site and provide input for a long time to come. I truly appreciate your visits