Soulful Strut as Performed by Young-Holt Unlimited (1968)

February 18, 2008

300-px-young-holt-soulful-strut.jpg

#3 R&B, #3 Pop

This week let’s get a little more funky with our instrumentals. “Soulful Strut” was the instrumental track for “Am I The Same Girl” by Barbara Acklin and it is soulful and funky for sure!

“Am I The Same Girl” is a popular soul song, written in 1968 for American soul singer Barbara Acklin by her husband, Eugene Record, lead singer of the Chi-Lites, and Sonny Sanders. Acklin’s label, Brunswick Records, first released the song in the autumn of 1968 as an instrumental track without her vocals, entitled “Soulful Strut” and credited to Brunswick soul-jazz combo Young-Holt Unlimited. “Soulful Strut” became a Top 5 hit in the United States, while Acklin’s vocal version, released in the winter of 1969, was not as successful. (Source)

This album is one of the first cassette tapes that I ever bought. I have always been slow to change. By the time I left vinyl for 8-tracks, cassettes were already on the scene, but I was slow to get on board. This one came in a black plastic case (early cases were in opaque colors of black,white or red before the clear plastic cases came into vogue) and the label peeled off soon after purchase, so I had to scotch tape it on. Forty years later I still have that tape and play it once in a while since I haven’t gotten a digital version of the entire album yet.

In addition to “Soulful Strut” other tracks on the album include “Funky Is As Funky Does”, “Baby Your Light Is Out”, “Who’s Making Love”, “Ain’t There Something Money Can’t Buy?”, “Be By My Side”, and “Please Sunrise”. You can’t go wrong adding this one to your musical collection.

The musicians of Chicago’s Young-Holt Unlimited, who first came into the public eye as members of Ramsey Lewis’ first Trio, have an interesting musical history that you can read all about, both, here and here. Plus additional information on the group can also be found at their Record Company site – Brunswick.

Thanks for stopping by to visit.

black-signature.png

Filed under:Brunswick,Eugene Record & Sonny Sanders,Instrumental Grooves,Jazz/Instrumental,Sixties,Soulful Strut,Young-Holt Unlimited

1 peacefulone February 18, 2008 at 9:47 am

Hi Sondan! You know I’ve subscribed to your feed so that I won’t miss your great posts! I’m rushing right now to go to my exercise class…(in the basement) (lol) but anyways..I just want to say I love it and it sure brought back old memories! Thanks for all of your hard work! Did you know that you can email your posts with the pictures? I did. It’s really a good way to get the word out and boost site traffic at the same time! All the best…E

P.S. Lord forgive me my typo’s…

2 bluedreamer February 19, 2008 at 9:51 am

you know sondan you change my principle. i now love instrumental haha. i download a lot of instrumental musics (classic ones) and playing it all out loud haha. it gives me energy while im doin my assignments in school

3 sondan February 19, 2008 at 5:33 pm

Hi Elane,

Thanks for your continued support. That’s the fun of these oldies – they bring back such great memories of carefree times don’t they?

I didn’t know you could e-mail posts? You will have to school me on the process when you get a chance you busy lady you.

Have a good week!

4 sondan February 19, 2008 at 5:36 pm

Hey BlueD,

I agree — instrumental pop and classical music are both great to study by AND read by AND blog by. I do it all the time! You aren’t distracted by thinking about lyrics.

BTW what are you studying in school?

5 bluedreamer February 20, 2008 at 6:28 am

im in Bachelor of science scondary education majoring mathematics then i also took computer science hehe

6 sondan February 24, 2008 at 1:50 am

Hmm. Interesting choices Blued. Do you plan to teach
math? Computer Science will take you far so don’t give it up.

Even though I have a Master’s Degree in another field, I have been recently toying with the idea of going back to school and getting some sort of certification in Computer Science just so I can perhaps change careers. I am having a mid-life crisis of sorts — something you will probably have eventually too (LOL).

Thanks for being one of my favorite visitors :-)

7 sondan February 24, 2008 at 1:57 am

Hi Elaine,

Got you email about “emailing posts”. I am not sure I understand it all, but I am going to start my research on RSS feeds. Hopefully I will get it all sorted out as you have done.

Thanks for you assistance. Hope you and yours are well.

8 bluedreamer February 25, 2008 at 6:22 am

haha gheeeh i wonder what will take me in the future. but then as what many said focus in your present life for this will create a greater vision in your future life. have a great day.

9 gina February 26, 2009 at 10:33 am

hi sondan – hard to find anything on “Soulful Strut” – it’s a great piece of music. been trying to find sheet music on it using google – cannot be found – any ideas?

10 LORETTA S. HICKMAN August 3, 2009 at 12:20 pm

hello
can anyone provide me with the lyrics for Ronnie Laws Every Generation? I can not find it on line.

Thanks

11 Michael December 27, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Soulful Strut—such a wonderful song! First heard it in 1972 and it means so much to me. Thanks

12 SonDan December 27, 2010 at 11:26 pm

It’s a great song for sure Michael amd it’s my pleasure to bring back those special memories for you by allowing you to listen to to the song once again. That’s why I love the tunes I present here: it is good music with great melodies that bring priceless memories to mind.
Thanks for checking in Micheal. I appreciate your visit and thank you in advance for your continued support.

13 Beat Man January 7, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Nice Blend of Music

14 SonDan January 9, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Thanks for participating Beat Man. Please stick around OSML. I am honored by your visit.

15 fizy muzik dinle March 31, 2011 at 9:57 am

its good and helpful. thanks for that :) we love your blog

16 sondan February 27, 2009 at 12:41 am

Hi Gina,

Wow you are right. “SS” music *is* hard to find. I did a bit of “googling” before replying and all I could find was Soulful Strut for Solo Accordion by Sonny Sanders & Eugene Record and Arranged by Pietro Deiro (Sheet music – 1969) : ) — but its a start. Also be sure to look under both “Am I the Same Girl” (the original song title) and “Soulful Strut.”

When I get a chance I will dig out my old sheet music and music books from the 60s-70s that is boxed up and stored in the basement and see what I can find. I will hold onto your e-mail address and notify you if I should come across it.

Until then keep the oldies alive!

17 gina March 3, 2009 at 8:37 am

thank you so much for your reply – and if you ever find that great sheet music for “soulful strut” – definitely please let me know – i would be most greatful!

18 sondan August 4, 2009 at 10:56 am

Great song Loretta and welcome to OSML. I and my readers will certainly look around for you. I will post here if I find them.