“You Are My Heaven” Performed by Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway (1980)

November 23, 2007

Donny Hathaway and Roberta Flack.

This “feel good” song was one of two, written by Eric Mercury and Stevie Wonder, on the album entitled “Roberta Flack Featuring Donny Hathaway. The album charted #4 R&B , #25 Pop and #31 in the UK. The song was #8 R&B and #47 Pop (why so low America?)

Flack recorded with Hathaway on a regular, successful, basis until his 1979 suicide: this song and lp were some of Hathaway’s final recording. Afterwards, Flack began working with Peabo Bryson, with more limited success.

Donny Hathaway

Roberta Flack

Review by Rob Theakston – The combination of Donny Hathaway and Roberta Flack undeniably ranks atop the all-time great duet parings in the history of R&B. Any opportunity to have one guest on the other’s recordings brought out a sensual energy not to be denied, similar to the magnetic duets between Tammi Terrell and Marvin Gaye for Motown during the ’60s.

Read the entireAlbum Review by Rob Theakston here.

Thanks for stopping by.

Filed under:Atlantic,Donny Hathaway,Dynamic Duos (Duets),Eighties,R&B/Duets,Roberta Flack,You Are My Heaven

1 standing8 November 24, 2007 at 9:59 am

Awesome blog you have here! Love this Flack and Hathaway. You ever go to soul-sides.com? Probably my favorite blog for music.

2 sondan November 24, 2007 at 6:24 pm

Thanks for the compliment standing8. Glad I found your site too.
Flack and Hathaway’s voices blended so perfectly together, didn’t they?
I was not aware of soul-sides.com, so I am about to check it out now.
Thanks for the heads up.
Peace and love and thanks for visiting.

3 thembi December 7, 2007 at 6:37 pm

Excellent blog. I love love LOVE this song and I have never heard anyone mention it as one of Hathaway’s best, let alone one of Stevie’s biggest songwriting triumphs – you can really hear the Stevie in it…

4 sondan December 7, 2007 at 8:01 pm

Thanks thembi,

You know I never really thought about it before, but you *CAN* actually hear Stevie Wonder in everything he has written no matter who sings it.

I appreciate your visit.

5 Al January 19, 2008 at 6:26 pm

Man oh man how much I love this song! Donny Hathaway and Roberta Flack truly bring me to heaven on this song. And Stevie Wonder? I just said a prayer thanking whatever gods may be for giving us Stevie Wonder-might I suggest all music lovers do the same.

6 sondan January 19, 2008 at 6:41 pm

I just said that prayer and I say it everyday. You are so right that we all should be thankful for these wonderful combinations of notes that talents such as Stevie, Roberta and Donny(RIP)have given us. I also am thankful that it has been recorded for generations to come to hear and enjoy.

I really think that music can sooth our souls. It should be used in drug therapy as an alternative high! Don’t you think? (LOL) It’s all the high I need.

Thanks for stopping by my friend. Please keep visiting. I love the company.

7 Lee Fletchall March 20, 2008 at 10:51 am

Hello,
I am from the University of Georgia Press and we recently found your website, and are curious if you would be interested in reviewing one of our new titles, Winners Have Yet to be Announced by Ed Pavlic. The book, based on the life and music of Donny Hathaway, is a moving collection of prose poems that presents a complex view of the gifted artist through imagined conversations and interviews that convey the voices, surroundings, and clashing dimensions of Hathaway’s life. We think you and your readers will be interested in this title, and appreciate your input. If you could send us your address, we would love to provide a copy for you. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Lee Fletchall
The University of Georgia Press

8 EJAM November 27, 2008 at 5:09 am

a wonderfull song
i have hear lalah hathaway (his daughter) doin the same song with will lee

ps i love the site

thanx for sharing all this information

9 sondan November 27, 2008 at 6:02 pm

I am glad you are enjoying the site: I really appreciate your visits and love talking about this great music. There is no better hobby than keeping the oldies alive and well (smile).

I have never heard Layla’s version so I will have to seek it out. Curious minds need to hear these things (LOL) so thank you for the head’s up EJAM.

10 Ogo December 3, 2008 at 1:20 pm

I tell you Donnie Hathaway was off the chain. His voice was extremely electrifying. He reminds me of my father who died in 1976. My father sang and had voice range similar to him

11 sondan December 3, 2008 at 6:13 pm

Hi Ogo,

Be sure to check out the hour documentary on TVOne about Donnie. It is part of the “Unsung” series. If you don’t have TV one I am sure it will be posted on YouTube – that’s how I plan to see it.

12 Casino Club October 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm

good points and the details are more precise than elsewhere, thanks.

- Thomas