For the readers who did not know the work of Willie Tee, I would like to let you know that his to Mardi Gras music, r&b and funk are many. But I knew him as the band leader, percussionist, arranger, background vocalist and keyboard player for the 1974 self-titled debut by the Wild Magnolias, which featured such perennial favorites as “Handa Wanda,” “Smoke My Peace Pipe (Smoke it Right),” “Handa Wanda” and “Corey Died on the Battlefield.” Smoke My Peace Pipe was a huge hit here in the Washington Metropolitan area and was a great favorite of mine. Here is the entire track listing:
1. Handa Wanda
2. Smoke My Peace Pipe (Smoke It Right)
4. Corey Died on the Battlefield
5. (Somebody Got) Soul, Soul, Soul
6. Saints – New Orleans Jazz Wizards, The Wild Magnolias
7. Meet de Boys on the Battlefront
8. Ho Na Nae
9. Golden Crown
10. Shoo Fly
11. Iko Iko
This album was re-released in June 2007 as part of a two disk set called “They Called Us Wild” on Sunny Side Records. Before you purchase it, here are a few tunes from the first album for your listening pleasure.
The Wild Magnolias – ( Somebody Got ) Soul Soul Soul (1973)
The Wild Magnolias – Corey Died on The Battlefield (1973)
For additional reading about Willie Tee and the Wild Magnolias I recommend these articles:
- Spotlight: Willie Tee by Robert Gabriel published in the Austin Chronicle 3/16/2007
- Willie Tee Biography by Jason Ankeny on All Music Guide.
Rest in Peace Mr. Willie Tee and thank you for your contributions to music.
Thanks for reading.