The Sylvers (1972)

September 6, 2007

The first three R&B oriented Sylvers lps were my favorites. Since I was singing “I’ll Never be Ashamed” around the house for the last two days (yes a sing a lot to myself) I decided that this lp would be the next one I should blog about.

I started to look around for a performance clip to post here. I knew that I would find plenty of for the pop hits such as: Hotline, Boogie Fever, High School Dance, but feared I would find nothing on the better (IMHO) R&B cuts from the first three lps. But to my surprise I found that a young You Tube user, heyroz27*, had compiled and just recently posted homemade music videos from those three lps that I so loved. And with her permission I get to share with you clips from some of those great songs from the Sylvers first lp.

This is the entire track listing:

Side One: Wish That I Could Talk to You Baby, Fool’s Paradise,Only Only Can Win, I’m Truly Happy, Tough Me Jesus.

Side Two: I Know Myself, Chaos, So Close, I’ll Never Be Ashamed, How Love Hurts.

This album was produced by Jerry Butler (yes THAT Jerry Butler) and Keg Johnson. Everyone song a gem.

I really wish that these three lps would be released on cd. I converted my vinyl to cdrs to play in the car during my travels, but it is just not the same as listening to a pristine CD with the 25 year old music being remastered.

I refer you to the Wikipedia article for more details on the career of the Sylvers. Just click Source link below.

In Memoriam

The Sylvers’ youngest sibling, Christopher (b. August 10, 1966), was just 18 when he died on June 18, 1985. He was never part of the performing family.

Lead singer Edmund — who played Marlon Jackson’s voice on the 1971-1973 ABC-TV Saturday morning cartoon series The Jackson 5ive — died of lung cancer in Richmond, Virginia on March 11, 2004 at age 47.

Source:Wiki

Thanks for reading.

* heyroz27 is 22 yrs old according to her profile: this just goes to show you that old school is classic music with a universal appeal.

Added to post re: comment dated 7/7/08 on “The Sylvers” production credits.

Filed under:A Family Affair,Co-ed Vocal Groups,MGM/Pride,R&B,Seventies,The Sylvers

1 Booker T Woodard Jr. February 19, 2008 at 5:13 pm

I truly loved this group!!!. I had a crazy crush on Charmaine that still exists to this day!!!

2 sondan February 19, 2008 at 5:22 pm

I’m with you Booker T.! Of course I swooned a bit over Leon – I thought that when I grew up I would have a tall husband with a huge ‘fro that looked and sang like him and wrote beautiful music for only me! (LOL)

3 Corey Smith April 19, 2008 at 11:15 pm

I BEEN WANTING THIS ALBUM SINCE I WAS A KID I HAVE NEVER GOT MY HANDS ON THE SYLVER 1ST 3 ALBUMS I WOULD LOVE TO OWN THEM AT A CHEAP PRICE LOL!……..Corey!

4 nicoledenise April 21, 2008 at 1:36 pm

please, tell def jam which they owe the right to some of them songs, mostly leon and ricky and edmund wrote their songs, made to produce the first album to put on cd-thats all i’m tell you and them. very good album from my youth.

5 sondan April 21, 2008 at 2:07 pm

Cory & Nicole – I agree with you both in that it would be great if all of the original Sylvers vinyl releases were released on CD. I actually purchased a cheap turntable a few years back just to digitize my Sylvers music and burn it on CDRs to listen to in the car. But pristine remasterd CDs would be awesome!

Wanna start a petition?

6 eric guillory April 22, 2008 at 10:40 pm

i grew up in watts where the sylvers where born.i allways though this group was very harmoticly importaint for my genteration during the bad times.but this is a album i did not know exsist. now i hered all of there music. but this album is the shit. if you could but this on disk for me io will pay. email me at ericguillory@sbcglogal.net….boy its good to find real sylvers fans still out there…

7 mike July 7, 2008 at 3:30 am

the producer is jerry peters and keg johnson

8 sondan July 7, 2008 at 7:30 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for dropping in.

I checked the album credits on “The Sylvers” LP to verify my statement on it being a Jerry Butler Production and as you can see I then scanned the back of the LP and then excerpted the credits to show you that the producers are in fact Jerry Butler and Keg Johnson. Also listed is Executive Producer Michael Viner.

I do see that Jerry Peters participated by arranging two songs as did David Crawford arrange five songs.
You may click on the second of the two graphics I added to the post to make it easier to read the names in the credits.

Was there some error in the 1972 LP credits that was later rectified that I am unaware of? If so I would appreciate being pointed to the source?

Thanks again for visiting and hope to hear from you soon.

9 nicoledenise October 25, 2008 at 3:35 pm

thanks for showing the first sylvers album. i was a bit flabbergasted that they wrote their own songs-dont need pimp berry gordy to do that.i love so close because of the jazz content and very like natlalie cole’s this will be.the other is how love hurts, i dream of edmund crying for me in the snow in a bronx neighborhood. i reach down stairs and cover him with my heavy blanket to sooth him just right and i hold him really tight. that’s what love suppose to be. im a community service dir. and a musician. i record my own demos and my own label, interception records. thanks for saving the photo. i also love charmaine’s signing too- i also love patricia.

10 sondan October 25, 2008 at 10:34 pm

Welcome to OSML Nichole and thanks for your input.

The Sylvers were and are a super talented musical family that seem to get overshadowed by the Jacksons, both in the Seventies and now when remembering music of that era. But I love their music just as much, if not more thank the J5 — especially the first 3 LPs. Leon’s lyrics were always superb as were his haunting melodies and arrangements with liberal use of minor keys.

Hope to see more of you here Nichole and thanks again for dropping by to visit with me.

11 gman44g March 4, 2009 at 11:30 pm

This is one of my all time favorite lps, when I was 11 yrs old the baddest slow jam at the old Hollywood Skating Rink was “Wished That I Could Talk To You”. I always had to couple skate with my cousin cuz all the girls said I was too little, hahahahaha. I left my 45 copy on the bus one night and cried all the way home. Finally found a copy of this album sealed at Salty Dogs Record Shop in Modesto, CA in 1995 and I have been too scared to open for fear I may scratch it :).

Thanks for posting that

12 bob england August 10, 2009 at 3:14 am

hello-i just got done playing the sylvers youtube songs took be back to when i was just old enough to stay up late and listen to the radio-how can i physically write to a fan mail address of the sylvers of pat sylvers derusso? thanks? God Bless-bob

13 Tressa October 7, 2009 at 6:00 pm

I am trying to find the Sylers album where they recorded the beatles song “yeaterday”. So far no website has heard of it.
Thanks
Tressa

14 SonDan October 7, 2009 at 10:41 pm

Hi Tressa,
The Album you are looking for is the second Sylvers LP from 1973 entitled “Sylvers II” on the (MGM) Pride label. I own the vinyl but it has been out of print for some time and never released on CD to my knowledge. I am amazed that you have not run across any sites familiar with this fantastic record. The harmonies are exquisite on the entire LP.

If you want the original LP check at GEMM.COM. If you are looking for just a copy of the original drop me a line via the “Contact” section reached from the navigation bar at the bottom of the site header.

Best of luck in your endeavor.

15 Heather Ferreira October 26, 2009 at 1:14 pm

I hear you on how good this group was. It took me decades of searching in four cities, but I finally have both albums. I found both in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and both were in good condition. The arrangements on these albums are exquisite and the production is bar none. In my opinion these singles are right up with Motown and The Sylvers never got the chance their talent deserved. But looking at the Jacksons today, The Sylvers might just have been lucky in that regard. PS, “Cry of A Dreamer” almost has a touch of Sesame Street’s Joe Raposo to its arrangement. The bridge puts tears in my eyes every time.

16 KRISTOFER MIKALS January 22, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Its so nice to see there are some real Sylvers fans out there….I have to say I was a huge Angie Sylvers fan..she took over where Charmaine loft off. Does anyone else find it strange that Charmaine would leave at the hight of Sylvermania….when Boogie Faver sold 2 million copies!!!…and then Hot Line came right behind it…man maybe love is that strong..but hey so are the $$$$.

17 SonDan January 24, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Hi Kristofer,

I am mos def a Sylvers fan and I welcome you to OSML. I guess we never know what goes on behind closed doors because this talented singing family should have surely gone on to fame, fortune and chart topping hits! I am partial to the early stuff, more soulful stuff full of awesome harmonies, than the later pop. But it’s all good. ;-)

18 miracle ii February 14, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Thanks for sharing the video. That was cool.

19 SonDan February 14, 2010 at 10:33 pm

You are very welcomed Miracle II. I appreciate your visit and participation.

20 Samuel August 18, 2010 at 9:42 am

Anyone have the lyrics to “how love hurts” by the sylvers?

21 SonDan August 18, 2010 at 10:13 pm

How Love Hurts by The Sylvers More The Sylvers music on iLike

I don’t have the lyrics but I suppose I could transcribe them some rainy Saturday afternoon. I will be sure to share here when I do and in the meantime if I come across the lyric I will post it right here.
This song is quite beautiful isn’t it Samuel? Both the lyric and the singing. Right?

22 Samuel August 19, 2010 at 5:33 pm

yes, really beautiful. The harmonies are superb. i’ve attempted to do the lyrics to repeated listening I’m going to post them here. After you do yours SonDon-let’s compare.

How love hurts-Sylvers

PILLARS OF JOY
CAN BE FAR OUT, THROUGH THE THOUGHT OF YOU
I’LL BE TROUBLED AND BUSTLED AND SPOILED BY YOUR LOVE
I’M TELLING OF…..
WHEN DID YOU START WITHIN MY LIFE AND VEINS
KNOWING THAT PART OF YOU WILL DRIVE ME INSANE
BECAUSE I’M NOT THE TYPE TO COMPLAIN
YOU WON’T KNOW WHY I DIDN’T SAY…..

AS YOUR BEAUTY WAS FAIR,

IF YOU WISH TO..
NOW IT’S YOUR TURN TO SHOW ME THAT YOU WILL STICK BY IT
I LOVE YOU DEAR..
IF YOU WISH TO LOVE AND CHERISH ME
MY LOVE HAS A SATISFACTION GUARANTEE

BECAUSE I’M NOT THE TYPE TO COMPLAIN
YOU WON’T KNOW WHY I DIDN’T SAY…

23 SonDan August 21, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Hi Samuel,

Looks like a good job. I have been out all day and just came in to check the blog. I have been humming the song all day long (LOL)
Will try my hand at transcription tomorrow and compare it to yours when complete. Will also do a little googling to see if I can find the original while I am online for the next houror two

24 samuel August 19, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Hi

Did you get the lyrics I posted?

25 Samuel August 19, 2010 at 5:28 pm

PILLARS OF JOY
CAN BE FAR OUT, THROUGH THE THOUGHT OF YOU
I’LL BE TROUBLED AND BUSTLED AND SPOILED BY YOUR LOVE
I’M TELLING OF…..
WHEN DID YOU START WITHIN MY LIFE AND VEINS
KNOWING THAT PART OF YOU WILL DRIVE ME INSANE
BECAUSE I’M NOT THE TYPE TO COMPLAIN
YOU WON’T KNOW WHY I DIDN’T SAY…..

AS YOUR BEAUTY WAS FAIR,

IF YOU WISH TO..
NOW IT’S YOUR TURN TO SHOW ME THAT YOU WILL STICK BY IT
I LOVE YOU DEAR..
IF YOU WISH TO LOVE AND CHERISH ME
MY LOVE HAS A SATISFACTION GUARANTEE

BECAUSE I’M NOT THE TYPE TO COMPLAIN
YOU WON’T KNOW WHY I DIDN’T SAY…

26 tallboyy May 25, 2011 at 2:20 pm

This is what I hear different from your lyrics:
PILLARS OF JOY
CAN’T BE FOUND, THROUGH THE THOUGHT OF YOU
I’LL BE TROUBLED AND PUZZLED AND SCORNED FOR YOUR LOVE
UNTIL I KNOW…..

BECAUSE I’M NOT THE TYPE TO COMPLAIN
YOU WON’T KNOW I ACCEPT…..

AS YOUR BEAUTY GROWS FAIR,
WISHING MY LOVE COMPARED
EVEN IF IT MEANS YOU’LL NEVER KNOW WHAT I FELT FOR YOU
AND WHILE I SIT HERE, THINKING OF YOU MY DEAR
DON’T YOU KNOW THAT LOVE WILL NEVER TAKE SUCH A PART IN OUR LIVES
NOW THE TIME HAS COME TO CHOOSE
WHETHER I LIVE OR DIE
WHERE DOES MY LIFE FIT YOU

NOW IT’S YOUR TURN TO SHOW ME THAT YOU WILL STICK BY ME
OR LET ME BE……

27 motownbaby August 5, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I got this album from a blog a year or so back and never got to “How Love Hurts”. Found it on Youtube looking for Sylver’s performances, and realized i had it. It’s on repeat now and i couldn’t understand the lyrics. Thanks so much. The beauty of the lyrics add to the unmatched harmonies! A new favorite…how could i have missed it?

28 SonDan August 7, 2011 at 12:53 am

Hi Motownbaby,
Aren’t The Sylvers harmonies the best ever? It, literally, gives me chills whenever I hear the beautiful blend of their voices in all three of those first LPS.
After watching their “Unsung” episode last week I was stunned to know that it was the family themselves that voted out big brother Leon as their guiding force.
Anyway, we have their early work on record to enjoy for all eternity — and that is a very good thing.
Thanks for dropping in. I truly appreciate your visit.

29 Angel October 4, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Hi Sondan’

I to am a very huge fan of the Sylvers, I am embarassed I can’t recall, please tell me who sang the leads on So Close? was it Leon, James and Edmond? or was it Ricky instead of Edmond? I was so young can’t remember.

30 SonDan October 4, 2010 at 11:45 pm

Hi Angel.

I haven’t listened to it “So Close” in a minute now, but as I recall Leon and Edmund were sharing the lead with a line or two thrown in by Ricky for good measure. If I give it a listen and hear anything different I will post here for you.

Is that your favorite tune? If not what are your faves by The Sylvers?

Be sure to check out the Yahoo Sylvers Message board Angel. As a fan you might enjoy visiting and reading through the archives of other fan discussions.

I am honored to have you visit here at OSML. Please don’t be a stranger here.

31 Angel October 6, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Hi SonDan:
Thanks for the info. Yes So Close was one of my favorites, actually the first 3 albums Sylvers I, II & III were my favorites, not that the later albums weren’t but, Wish That I Could Talk To You is the one that I have played over and over and (had a big crush on Ricky) now that I can view the soul train video as much as I want it’s mellow.

Thanks I will definately visit OSML again! Peace!

32 SonDan October 6, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Same with me Angel.. the first three LPs are the best IMHO. The record labels are all about big bucks and they tried to turn them into a Pop money making machine. I suppose that was the beginning of the end of those beautiful soulful harmonies penned and arranged by big brother Leon Sylvers and his talented siblings.

Thanks again for your participation and I hope to see you again very soon.

33 Angel October 7, 2010 at 10:47 pm

I definately agree with you,it’s a crying shame. Many executives in entertainment industry have not a clue of what their doing, it has always been that way from my own experience. Leon was given a rare opportunity with S.O.L.A.R and took it (thank the heavens), he is still IMO one of the most talented producer, writer, composer & singer in the business, IMO. I will always love all of the Sylvers! Wonderful conversing with you, TTYVS.

34 hale March 7, 2011 at 5:32 am

wow this page is amazing full of nice conversations and nice features you have..congrats to the owner of this site you had done a really amazing job!..

35 SonDan March 10, 2011 at 10:05 pm

I thank you so very much for the kind words hale. Please stay tuned to OSML. I appreciated your visits.

36 Rare Vinyl Records March 31, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I love The Sylvers. If your looking you can find The Sylvers Lps 45s 33s here.

37 SonDan April 3, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Thanks for the comment. I am sure there are OSML readers that will benefit from your site. I am off to check it out.

38 Tariq June 9, 2011 at 4:13 pm

They are really doing nice job.

39 garry blair July 4, 2011 at 2:09 am

Big fan did not know about Edmund’s life,sorry one of my greatest singer.James did something on Michael Jackson’s latest CD MICHAEL great work.

40 SonDan July 4, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Welcome to OSML Garry!
Edmund was a truly gifted singer gone too soon.
Thank you so much for the heads up on James’ participation on the “Michael” CD.
I digitized it and socked away the CD, but will have to retrieve it to read the liner notes
in detail. Can’t believe I missed seeing the Sylvers name (LOL)

41 sondan March 6, 2009 at 1:29 am

It’s so good to hear that you lucked out and found a pristine copy of the LP. But please just play it once to rip it to digital so you can enjoy that great music gman.

I ripped all of my Sylvers LPs to CDRs so that I could play them in the car during my daily commute. Their harmonies can always sooth me — even when I am in the worst traffic.

Glad you found my blog and hope to hear more from you. All the best.

42 sondan August 10, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Hi Bob — Welcome to OSML,

Obviously I am a big Sylvers fan too. I would suggest that you check out one of fan groups on Yahoo. The family members sometime check in there and you might be able to get an address. Just go to Yahoo Groups and do a search on “Sylvers.”
I know Olympia’s daughter frequents one of those groups.
Best of luck and thanks again for checking in.

43 sondan August 10, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Hi Eric,

I checked into this thread to answer an email I received today and lo and behold saw your un-read post sitting in the in box. I don’t know how I over looked it but please, please accept my apologies and belated WELCOME!
We Sylvers Fans have got to stick together(SMILE). I am going to email you as soon as I post this reply and again my sincere apologies and welcome to OSML.

Hope your summer is going great.